Mexican Style Skillet Meal
Don’t let the ingredients list fool you. This is an amazingly easy dish to prepare. All done in 5 easy steps. This recipe serves about 6 people, possibly more. What can I say? Our growing children have hearty appetites. When following the measurements recipe, you may not be able to fit all into a skillet, especially after adding rice. I did step 4 in the rice cooker since it was so much but if you are making half or a third, it could definitely be done in a skillet.
What You Need
3 – 3 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 lbs hamburger (I used 93% lean)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can fire roasted salsa style diced tomatoes
1 – 1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp freshly chopped garlic
1 medium onion diced
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1 large tomato diced
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger with salt, chili powder, garlic and onion.
- Add can beans and tomatoes. Mix well and continue cooking for another minute or two.
- Once mixture starts to bubble, add rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Turn heat off. Top with cheese if preferred and cover. Leave on the stove. This will let the cheese melt nicely on the top.
- Serve hot with fresh diced tomatoes.